Ads 468x60px

Wednesday 26 September 2012

Southern Thailand Spicy and Sour Pickled Bamboo and Prawns Soup (แกงเหลืองหน่อไม้ดอง)


I love southern Thai food even though I grew up in northern Thailand and Bangkok. Their seafood dishes are full of richness and the strong taste of spices. Southern Thai food has Malaysian and Muslim influences and they often use Turmeric in the soup to enhance colour. 

One of the best places to experience southern food in Bangkok (that my dad and I always go to for lunch when ever we have a free time together) is the suburb call Flat Klong Jan, Bang Ka Pi. I think this is the biggest southern community in Bangkok :)  Since I came to live here in Brisbane, I've missed all of the food in Bangkok.  I have to learn how to cook the food that I love and to remind me of my time with my dad. This dish is one I often cook! 


Southern Thailand Spicy and Sour Pickled Bamboo and Prawns Soup

Ingredients (Share meal) :

- 200g Pickled bamboo (Available at Asian supermarket) 
- 1 cup Prawns (Frozen or fresh)
- 5 cups water
- 21/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste (Available at Asian supermarket) * Be careful using Tamarind. I recommend that you should try 1/2 tbsp first.

For the chilli paste

- 1 tbsp Galangal sliced
- 1 tbsp Shrimp paste
- 4 Cloves garlic crushed
- 4 Shallots sliced
- 1 tsp Tumeric powder or fresh tumeric crushed
- 2 tbsp Fish powder,Alternatively can of Tuna
- 3-4 Dried chilli maybe more if you want spicy

Method:

Place the water into the sauce pan and turn on the high heat. Leave it boil then turn the heat down.
Wash the pickled bamboo with water, drain and set aside.
In food processor, add all ingredients for the paste and blend it until it become paste.
Add the chilli paste into the boiling water.
Once it's boiling, add prawns then bamboo. Turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes

Turn the heat off and serve with steamed rice

This soup will goes well together with Thai fried egg, sweet sun-dried sardine or vegetable stir-fry. ^^

0 comments:

Post a Comment